Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” - Gail Devers


Friday, January 29, 2010

Oooh...pick me, pick me!

I decided I need more clinical experience with patients before I graduate. I've also been told it's a good idea to start looking for a nursing job now. So I spoke with the nursing recruiter at the hospital I already work for. I stressed my preference for labor and delivery, but also explained that I've been warned that hospitals rarely hire new graduates for that department and that I would appreciate being considered for any position available. Her response was that she was hired into labor and delivery as a new graduate and that there are always exceptions. I took that as a good sign. :)

So, since I'm not yet an RN, she suggested I apply for the assistant position that's currently available in postpartum. After discussing it with my boss, I went for it! The hours are overnight, but it is full time. I'm not quite sure how well this would work with my school schedule, but I figured I won't know unless I try. Unfortunately, today at work, I was told several people have already applied for that position, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.

So what does a girl in my position do? She does whatever it takes to proves she's the girl for the job! I'm working shifts to help out during the ice and snow storm, while several others are calling in. That's gotta look good, right? I have also asked an awesome OB (who is also a dear friend) and my most favorite nursing instructor (who was also my clinical instructor for my OB rotation)to write recommendation letters for me. They will be sent to the recruiter very soon. Hopefully, there will be enough evidence to prove I'm intelligent, efficient, responsible, and capable for this position. I guess only time will tell...which means I have to be patient. I always joke I went to nursing school to learn patience. I guess now is the time to test how well I've learned that lesson...

No comments:

Post a Comment